Thursday, March 1, 2012

Being an Adult

Is no fun. Really. So overrated.

I had a hard time titling this blog entry.  The other day on the Radio, a lady asked "what was that defining moment that you realized you were an adult." I think I had mine this past Sunday when some college students were sitting in front of me at church laughing and carrying on seemingly without a care in the world.  Housed, fed, surrounded by friends, full of dreams, and endless possibilities.  I knew I had moved onto being an adult.

Being an adult means being responsible. Yuck.  Most people who know me might classify me as over-responsible, but real responsibility is draining.  Wake up. Go to work. Do dishes during break. Go back to work. Cook Lunch. Work. Put in some Laundry. Work. Come home. Cook/help cook dinner. More dishes. Homework. Bills. Bills. More bills. Pray the car doesn't break down. Oh, and go to class.

Ok, ok. It's not all THAT bad.  But whose idea was this "growing up" thing anyway?  My advice, live your life slowly, laugh loudly, and take chances.  I try to keep life a little fun since becoming an adult, but man I cannot wait until summer when its fun fun fun every day!  More than anything, I can't wait to be surrounded by people again. Can you believe that? ME wanting to be surrounded by people?  Things really are a'changin ;)

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE being married, having our own place, and all those fun things that come along with growing up.  But for anyone out there whose in a hurry to grow up, please take your time!  You can get never get back those years in high school or college when you could dream freely and take any opportunity that comes your way.  It's natural to grow up and to try to be a "fun adult" and stretch the limits of societal norms, but enjoy your youth.  You only get it once.

And I only get this period of my life once too. I'm still young! So I'm gonna live it :)  I'm going to bake as much as I want and laugh as much as I want and enjoy having no children as much as I want!

Whatever stage of life you're in, don't let it slip by.  Enjoy every moment because this life is precious :)

P.S. Don't forget to plan for eternal life too! ;)

1 comment: