Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Good, Bad, & Ugly

Break is over and its the second day of school.  Who would have thought that in 3 days so many things could happen?!

I left my house at 8 am Sunday morning wishing I could stay forever.  When I first left for college 4 years ago I was ecstatic to be free and away from my friends and family adventuring into this new life!! It took over a year for homesickness to kick in and by now every time I go home I just want to stay.   I attribute this to the realization that while I'm at home I have less responsibility and more freedom.  It's nice to be able to sit on the couch, eat some soup, put a log on the fire, and watch jerseylicious all day.  This glorious reality ended abruptly as I packed the car Sunday morning and waved goodbye to good ol' New Jersey.

The trip to New York was pretty excellent.  I picked up my awesome friend Raychel as well as Jude and waiting for us in Lima, NY was Sara Berkemeier with an odd looking (but yummmmmmmy) beef stroganoff.  Even though I didn't want to come back to New York, the day was going really good.

This didn't last. Jude surprised me by taking me to my first bridal expo in Rochester, but we were a little late and the person in line in front of me got the last gift bag.  Bummer.  Our tickets also most likely didn't make it to the raffle. Double Bummer.  We left there and decided to go back to campus before heading on a movie date so that we could pick up our books from the Library before it closed.  It was already closed. And the mail office was closed where my other books were.  All of this was crumby, but then it got ugly.  I dropped my computer of the car.

Now, for those of you who know me well, you understand that I have a curse following me in which anything nice that I have ever owned ends up broken.  Most of the time due to my own stupidity.  This was once again the case and I just wanted to go home.  Really go home.  My bags were still packed and I was ready to head back south.  The computer was indeed kaput and (drumroll please) my warranty had ended only 5 days before.  I sat and cried for hours.  This was the icing on the cake of my emotional mess.  Already I was dreading returning to school and have already been under stress concerning the wedding and immigration. This was a bad day.

My mother assured me that I could not return home.  She also did the most loving thing she could do and  volunteered to help me get a new computer.  Some may say "that's what parents do" but I don't think that it does justice to the sacrifices my family has made for me.  They always bail me out and they love me no matter what.  It made me want to be home with them even more.

It's in the midst of gray skies that one's yellow rain boots stick out the most.  In the middle of being upset, my roommate changed everything.  She didn't give me a speech (or chocolate), she gave me a scarf.  The prettiest scarf I've ever had.  It made me realize that I was missing the point and switched me into the gear of being grateful.

This scarf, my parents mercy and gracious giving, and Jude helping me back up my harddrive and search for a new computer made me think of how good I really have it.  Sara is now at school with me! I have my two best friends here with me and have made other good friends while being here.  Other awesome friends are only forty minutes away!  This year I am getting married, I have an awesome wonderful fantastic job for the summer, and I will finally have my degree.  I need to remind myself that even though this will be a difficult year, it will still be a good year.

So here I sit, typing this on my new mac!! Well technically it's used, but it's new to me :D  I am now part of the mac family and have my dream computer.  Such a horrible day produced so much good after all!  It will take some time to get used to, but I am enjoying every minute of it.  I especially love the photo booth and how God has blessed me with so many awesome people in my life!!

No comments:

Post a Comment